Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Haste Makes Waste

So I forgot to describe a really cool part of our trip in my last post! Between two of the locations, our bus driver made a stop at a Crocodile Farm. At first we considered not doing the tour because we had already seen them in the wild, but we decided to at the last minute. I am so glad we did! We got to see the handlers feed huge crocodiles and I got to hold a baby. He was really smooth and cool feeling, and luckily his mouth was tapped shut.

Also at the farm we got to feed kangaroos and wallabies. They were really tame and used to visitors so we could even pet them. The food was just grass and some pellets so they ate directly from our hands. One of the kangaroos even had a joey in her pouch, but it wasn't very cute. They don't look like they do in cartoons and drawings with the little head and face poking out. Instead, the joey curls up in the pouch so it's skinny little legs are hanging out all awkwardly and gross. He did pop his head out once, but his feet were still there too.

I can't wait to share pictures from all of these. I'll be back in two weeks and get them up as soon as I can. Tomorrow I head out to the Great Barrier Reef so wish me sunshine and jellyfish-free waters!

2 comments:

Allison said...

How was the Great Barrier? See any sharks or jellies?
g'dday!

Megan said...

Ew, I can imagine that joey. Too bad it wasn't more like Kanga and Roo.

I can't wait to see all the pictures from the Great Barrier Reef!!!!