Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rocking and Rolling

Only having to drive 200 miles on Day two was a nice change of pace. Of course I couldn’t sleep in on Thursday, so I got up early and headed to Santa Clarita to have lunch with my friend from UCSB. We had a delicious meal at an asian fusion restaurant, which was a great break from the heat. After lunch I decided to head to Macy’s and see if they had any shorts on sale since it was 90 degrees and I only own one pair. While I was looking around I felt the floor move, as if someone had jumped up and down right behind where I was standing. It only took me a second longer and one glance around to realize it was an earthquake. The shaking lasted less than ten seconds but it had an interesting feel to it because it was a back and forth movement instead of a roll. It reminded me of that moving sidewalk that John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John dance on at the end of Grease.

My next stop was in downtown Los Angeles, to visit my college roommate who is attending USC Dental School. This was my first trip to USC and now I understand what people mean about the campus being beautiful, especially in contrast to the surrounding neighborhood. After stopping by the dental lab, Lola took me to a dental frat barbeque, which was pretty much as dorky as it sounds. But I say that with much love to all my new scrub wearing friends.

The main event of the evening turned out to be our dinner excursion to a place called Father’s Office. Lola’s lab partner had been talking about The Office Burger all afternoon, so I naturally expected this place to be a burger joint. It turned out to be this chic lounge and restaurant where you seat yourself, order at the bar, and pay $8 for a beer. But the burger was delicious. And now I’m in Redlands, and another update will follow shortly!

1 comment:

Aunty Karen said...

Wow...I need to turn on the news and see where the earthquake was..Glad you are having so much fun, Jordan. We loved your visit with us and will miss you. Be safe and keep us informed...Love your blog! XXXXOOOO